Early Research Papers
The following are representative of Jacques' scientific work:
- "Respiratory Mechanics following Major Surgery" (co-author) in Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Medical Electronics, p.497, 1965.
- "An Automatic Question-answering system for Stellar Astronomy" (co-author with J.A. Hynek) Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, vol.78, no.463, pp.315-323, August 1966.
- "Théorie des Systèmes Autocodeurs" Revue d'Informatique et de Recherche Opérationnelle No.3, pp.63-70 (in French) 1967.
- "Retrieval Formulae for Inquiry Systems" Inform. Storage and Retrieval Jal no.4 pp.13-26, 1968.
- "DIRAC and Astronomical Data Retrieval" ACM 1970 National Conference, New York City. Published in the book Computers and Crisis, edited by R.W.Bremer, Assoc. for Computing Machinery, NY 1971 pp.386-387, 1970.
- "Progress towards a Direct-access Hematology Database: Stanford's Experience with the DIRAC language" (co-author) Archives of Pathology no.91, pp.542-549, June 1971.
- "Periodicity in the Radiofrequency Spectrum of the Pulsar CPO328" (co-author with P.A.Sturrock) The Astrophysical Journal, 171: L27-L30, Jan. 1972.
- "A Facility to interrogate ARPANET Resources" SRI-ARC online journal, entry 11136, July 1972.
The first basis for the ARPANET "Network Information Center" (NIC).
- "Information Organization for Interactive Use: Design implications in Database Systems" Journal of the American Society for Information Science Vol.24 no.4, pp.287-299, July 1973.
- "Network Conferencing" Datamation May 1974.
- "Travel-Communication Relationships: Transcript of a Computer Conference" (co-editor) Montreal: Bell Canada Business Planning Group, July 1974. The first edited transcript of a computer teleconference.
- "The Dynamics of Long-term Growth" (co-author) Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 7, pp.285-300, August 1975.
- "The FORUM Project: Network Conferencing and its Applications" Computer Networks Vol.1, no.1, June 1976 pp.39-52.
- "Applications of Information Technology to Emergency Management" Testimony before the Science and Technology Committee of Congress, United States House of Representatives. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1984. Ninety-eighth Congress, second session. 9 October 1984.
- "Information Technology and the Future" Plenary Session Address, American Society for Information Science, 50th Anniversary Conference, Boston, 8 October 1987.